In 2011, Huron facilitated a transaction with two brothers and third generation owners of Victoria Fine Foods with the objective of providing liquidity to the family and transitioning the company to a new professional management team. Established in 1929, Victoria is a leading producer of premium pasta sauce and Italian condiments sold both under the Victoria brand name and through select private label relationships. The Company’s products are sold in retail grocery, warehouse clubs, and gourmet food stores throughout the U.S. and Canada.
Why Huron Capital?
The family sellers sought a financial and strategic partner to facilitate the retirement of one of the brothers at closing and the transition of the other brother out of the business shortly after close. We differentiated ourselves by identifying a seasoned CEO to run the business and recruiting two experienced food industry Operating Partners to the Board of Directors. Our Operating Partners had extensive experience transforming family-owned regional food brands into well-known national brands and strategically positioning consumer product companies for success. The owners recognized the value we offered from a human capital and growth perspective. Similarly, Huron Capital recognized the strength of the Victoria brand, as well as the value of its diverse product lines and established relationship with many large retail accounts. After closing, Huron Capital recruited a new management team and supplemented the company with additional personnel, and the new team worked to energize and activate the Victoria brand, develop new product offerings, cultivate new customer relationships, and restructure the company’s “go to market” strategy and channels of distribution.
- Augmented the management team by hiring a CEO, CFO, Controller, and EVP of Sales
- Offered equity ownership to more executive team members creating alignment of interest among the management team and Huron Capital
- Recruited Huron Capital Operating Partners to the Board of Directors who helped develop the strategic vision for the company, facilitated introductions to important new customer accounts, and expanded the brand’s geographic reach
- Made strategic investment in operations to increase production capabilities, capacity, and efficiency
- Redesigned the company’s label and branding strategy to increase and elevate the Company’s brand awareness
- Realigned the Company’s sales strategy – partnered with a national broker, upgraded regional sales teams, and eliminated direct store delivery model in New York
Under Huron Capital’s ownership, Victoria tripled its core branded pasta sauce sales, developed several new natural and vegan brands, and added strategic customer relationships with some of the largest grocery chains in the U.S. In 2016, Victoria became part of B&G Foods.